Zrinka

Zrinka

The New Foundations of Evolution: On the Tree of Life
Jan Sapp
A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams Can't really say that I liked it. Before I read it, I didn't know anything about the context and the times when the play was written. I've done some catching up, but I'm not really that interested. I just read it because of all the references that pop out every once in a while.

So my take on it is this: Stanley is the personification of the American, the Owner. Looking back on my notes, I see that the rape is insinuated right from the first time Stanley steps on the scene. E.g. "He sizes women up at a glance, with sexual classifications, crude images flashing into his mind and determining the way he smiles at them." Women are objects to be owned, just like a car.
Blanche is insightful, but cannot help herself cope and overcome her own sorrows.
Who I really wanted to find out more about was Stella. She's torn between the sheltered world she had with her parents, and the cruel one where she actually feels sheltered with Stanley at her side. In the end, she sides with Stanley, forcing herself to believe that her sister has lost her mind telling her that Stella's husband raped her while she was in the hospital giving birth to their child.
I guess the reason why a lot of women on goodreads didn't like this is the women's fate in the play. Ending up in an asylum, because getting raped is not as shocking as being promiscuous, and staying with a violent husband because you have nowhere else to go - we really don't want to read about these kinds of worlds, even if it were in 1947, because we know that it's actually happening all around us. And the Stanleys of the world are role-modeled because of their "inner drive", because they will be or are achieving so much.
Title suggests they all act on desire. According to Blanche, desire is opposite to death. I wouldn't agree with either, but that's just me.

The play is all about excessive drama. As I understand, that was actually the point. (?) Anyway, I don't see all the thrill in it, but maybe it's one of those plays you should watch, not read (I'm thinking of watching the movie). But maybe it's just a Marlon Brando thing. (shrugging)